Have you heard about Peppermint Magazine? Apart from being a totally gorgeous magazine, they also offer a bunch of sewing patterns for free on their website. The most recent ones have been designed by Emily from In the Folds, and there are some really cute options!
After I finished up my (sadly not blogged) banana leaf New Look 6459 pants, I had a really decent sized chunk of fabric left over (not huge, but enough for a top if I was careful), so I carefully put it aside while I decided what to do with it. Initially I was thinking about an Inari Tee, but after I tried on my Inari dresses again I just wasn’t really feeling super sold on the concept. Enter the Peppermint Magazine sewing school. I’ve never been into the peplum look, but for some reason I just couldn’t get the idea of a banana leaf peplum top out of my head!
So I pulled out my fabric and carefully laid out the pattern pieces to see if I could make it work, and with a bit of fiddling, I was able to make it happen. The only hitch I had was that although I easily had enough for the main pattern pieces, I didn’t have enough to cut the neckline binding piece. I thought about using some pre-made bias tape, but with the v-neck in the back the pattern piece has a unique shape that I didn’t want to lose. In the end I just folded the pattern piece in half and cut two mirrored pieces, making sure to add on a 5/8″ seam allowance so I could join them together. It worked perfectly, and even helped with lining up the neckline binding at the attachment stage. Yay!
Yep, my bra strap is peeking out. Nope, I’m not taking the photos again!
As is fast becoming my usual adjustment, I lengthened the bodice of the top, this time by 2 inches. There weren’t any lengthen/shorten lines, so I just picked an arbitrary point about 2/3 of the way down the side seam and sliced away.
This is such a different silhouette for me, but I think I’m in love! There’s something playful about the ruffled peplum and the banana leaf print. Even better, this top is basically free! Free pattern and fabric scraps! Win-win! Oh, and I also have some pieces left over that I’ll turn into more bias tape, so I think I’ve really gotten my money’s worth out of this fabric cut!